As a nation, we have become very dependent on antibiotic pills. This results in drug-resistant bacteria and other “super bugs” that keep evolving faster than scientists have time to research, making it hard to fight them off. Antibiotic pills were not always the solution because they were only invented in the 1940’s. Before that, our ancestors used many different foods and herbs that are known to defend your health, rid infections and stop diseases from spreading. In fact, many holistic doctors still practice these types of antibiotic treatments instead of resorting to pills. Here are the top 12 natural antibiotics our ancestors once used and that many all natural healing doctors still use today:
- Oregano/Oil of Oregano. We think of oregano as something to add to your favorite Italian dish, however, many go on without realizing how beneficial oregano is to your health! It has antibacterial properties, and can help with chronic digestive disorders, yeast infections, and weight loss. Oregano oil (also known as Caracole) fights bacteria that can lead to nasty infections.
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, or ACV. With antibiotic and antiseptic properties, ACV can help in weight management and lowering cholesterol and cancer risk. ACV can also be used as a chemical-free astringent if you need to topically disinfect or sterilize a wound.
- Honey. Pooh Bear had the right idea! Ancient Romans used honey during war to treat their wounds and avoid infections. Honest is the best natural antibiotic out there, bursting with antioxidants, antimicrobials, anti-inflammatories, and antiseptics. Not to mention, there’s also an enzyme in honey that is known to release hydrogen peroxide (which also fights infection and prevents bacteria growth). Honey can soothe your digestive problems!
- Turmeric. Tasty and beautiful in color, this spice can protect your body tremendously. You can eat it or use it topically, too! It is mainly used to protect your body against infection and here’s a tip: try mixing it with honey and adding topically to any flesh wound.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE). Studies show that GSE is effective in killing over 800 different forms and strands of viruses and bacteria and over 100 different strains of fungus and parasites! As if that doesn’t say enough, GSE is also high in antioxidants, and help with chronic digestion issues.
- Garlic. Garlic is delicious and good for you! It can push germs away before you even feel sickness coming on. The allice found in garlic can protect against yeast, parasites, bacteria and more!
- Echinacea. This herb is not as well known, but still helpful in fighting bacteria. Try consuming this herb when you feel a cold coming on, as it has preventative cold fighters inside.
- Cabbage. Cabbage contains sulfur and because it is a member of the cruciferous family, it is shown as an effective cancer fighting food. It can help with weight management, improve digestion issues, and prevent disease. Not to mention, one cup of cabbage can provide you with 75% of your daily vitamin C requirement.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Antifungal and antimicrobial, EVCO is packed with nutritious antioxidants you won’t be able to find anywhere else! You can use it to balance thyroid problems, and lower cholesterol and blood sugar. EVCO is even proven to help with brain function. You can use extra virgin coconut oil internally and externally for benefits.
- Fermented Foods. From unpasteurized cabbage to homemade pickles and probiotic yogurts, these foods have amazing benefits for your intestinal tract, and fights bacteria and cancer prone cells.
- Colloidal Silver. Colloidal Silver is a natural antibiotic and is made by a mixture of silver particles that have been suspended in fluid. This treatment is extremely temporary considering overuse of any heavy metals can be considered toxic, however, it fights a harmful enzyme that bad bacteria needs in order to grow and multiply.
Along with a healthy diet and exercise, these all natural antibiotics, and chiropractic adjustments, you can achieve a healthier life. Call our Glendale office today to see how we can help you!